The mission of the University of Guyana, School of Medicine is to maintain an internationally accredited educational programme that produces future physician leaders who are compassionate, able to practice patient-centred medicine of the highest standard, dedicated to the ethical and social principles of health care, and committed to a lifetime of continued professional development and scholarship.
The School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Guyana is the national institution established to be a first class centre for medical education and training in the region.
In preparing physicians for the health care delivery systems, the Medical School of Guyana conducts programmes of education, research, and community service and health policy to achieve the following goals:
- To have a sound knowledge of the health care delivery at all levels (structure, function and organization) and to function effectively as a healer in a variety of settings including urban, rural, hinterland and ambulatory.
- To be knowledgeable about priority health problems confronting Guyana and the Caribbean; flexible enough to adapt such knowledge to suit varying needs and situations within the socio-economic, geo-political and cultural context of Guyana and the Caribbean; and problem-solving oriented enough to contribute to the resolutions of such problems through relevant and applied clinical, behavioral, and epidemiological research, intersectoral coordination, and community participation in addition to curative and rehabilitation care.
- To perform comparably and to interact effectively with peers at all levels on the regional and international scenes through acquisition of the theoretical knowledge, technical skills and competencies, interpersonal skills, and the appreciation of the diversity in community health status regionally and elsewhere.
- To provide leadership to members of the health team with appreciation and respect for individual roles, and to use the team approach in planning, programming costing and evaluating health services, in health care policy decision-making, and in attempting to remedy unsatisfactory environmental conditions.
- To inculcate adequate legal and ethical attitudes based on the laws of Guyana.
Faculty of Health Sciences
- University of Guyana, Turkeyen Campus
- +592 222-5404